The Corporate Risk Manager will have overall responsibility for the control, oversight, and enterprise-wide risk management across all business units and functional areas Of Topa Equities, Ltd. The Risk Manager will provide input and oversight in the establishment, monitoring and structuring of strong risk controls, assist the Executive team in identifying, quantifying, optimizing, and managing risk using applicable quantitative, operational, and financial risk management tools. The Risk Manager will be responsible for examining existing, as well as, proposed business / operational activities to determine potential risk exposures and participate in the development and execution of company risk management policies, practices, and processes.
- Establish sound practices and principles for the identification, treatment and management of risks and vulnerabilities associated with Topa’s business.
- Oversee the placement of all global Property & Business Interruption, Casualty, Umbrella & Excess Liability, Executive & Management Liability, Construction, Marine cargo, Business Travel Accident, Workers Compensation, and other necessary insurance and surety programs for Topa’s operations.
- Prepare and present regular updates on Topa’s financial & strategic performance to key insurers to maintain long-standing relationships and ensure continuity of insurance coverages.
- Manage the placement of property insurance including: gathering, compiling, and summarizing asset and exposure information from all properties prior to renewal; completing and reviewing marketing submissions; manage renewal marketing meetings; binding coverage and reviewing policies for accuracy; coordinating payment of premiums; and reporting material changes to carriers as necessary and coordinating any resulting endorsements.
- Develop and manage department budget, and operating objectives. Prepare and communicate insurance forecasts, premium allocations, expense accruals and liability reserves.
- Lead risk management efforts for merger/acquisition/divestiture due diligence and post-acquisition integration activities.
- Manage insurance brokers, third party claim administrators, adjusters and all other consultants, vendors, suppliers associated with risk management initiatives.
- In coordination with legal advisors, provide guidance on management of risks in contracts, agreements, leases and other legal agreements.
- Provide oversight and leadership in the establishment, implementation, and monitoring of internal controls for risk management activities.
- Identify and analyze risks associated with specific transactions by reviewing/conducting economic assessment for the quantification of benefits and risk exposures.
- Collaborate with subsidiaries on Occupational Health & Safety, Environmental Management, Property Loss Prevention, Fire Safety Engineering and Asset Protection strategies.
- Periodically review insurance products currently not purchased to ensure latest insurance product evolutions and offerings are evaluated and considered for continued self-insurance or recommended for purchase, as appropriate
- Keep abreast of industry best practices and new insurance products/services, as well as promote Topa’s business by serving on trade association and industry advisory committees and boards.
- Accountability – Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Reliability – The trait of being dependable, trustworthy and possess the highest levels of integrity and character.
- Responsible – Ability to be held accountable or answerable for one’s conduct with a strong work ethic.
- Communication, Oral & Written – Ability to communicate effectively with others both verbally and written.
- Decision Making – Ability to make critical decisions while following company procedures.
- Business Acumen – Ability to grasp and understand business concepts and issues while possessing a strategic perspective.
- Analytical Skills – Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Adaptability – Adapts to changes in the work environment; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events without being overly hierarchical.
- Trust – Portray a positive and well-liked image, ultimately developing trust and synergy with the entire organization.
- Leadership – Ability to influence others to perform their jobs effectively and to be responsible for making decisions in operational and financial departments.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in Risk Management, Business Administration, Finance or Accounting, preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in Risk Management; insurance background required.
- Certifications / Designations: ARM, CPCU, CSP and/or other related professional designation preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of insurance, types of policies and coverage is a must. This includes professional, general, excess and auto liability, property, workers’ compensation, health insurance, D&O and EPL.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with an ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated leadership and management ability in a complex organization.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a large geographically dispersed team to achieve corporate and business unit objectives.
- An ability to assess and value various risk and profit elements associated with proposed transactions and ongoing operations and the ability to translate this analysis into meaningful business decisions.
- Ability to effectively matrix manage and influence across a large complex organization
- Strong mathematical skills needed to understand underwriting, actuarial work, catastrophic modeling, cost-benefit analyses, cash flows, and budgets and expenditures.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint)
- Keen attention to detail
- Collaborative working style and team player attitude
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Outstanding organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks
- Strong decision making, planning and problem solving skills.