The Payroll Specialist is responsible for the administration and execution of all daily payroll department operations and tasks. The Payroll Specialist prepares, maintains and manages all payroll functions to ensure every employee is paid properly and in compliance with all applicable rules, laws regulations and company policies. The Payroll Specialist coordinates efforts between payroll, H.R., Accounting and other departments to insure proper flow and maintenance of all employee and payroll data.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Control, process and record all payroll and related functions accurately, efficiently, on time and in compliance with all applicable policies, rules and regulations. Manage workflow to ensure all payroll transactions are processed accurately and efficiently.
- Ensure accuracy of timekeeping systems and records, coordinating with management personnel regarding timekeeping issues and related documentation (e.g. missing punches, time sheet corrections, adjustments, meal/break waivers etc.). Ensure entries and calculations comply with company policy and all applicable laws/regulations.
- Ensure accuracy and compliance of all paid time off and attendance systems and records, coordinating with management and H.R. on attendance matters and applicable policy, procedures, absence/leave benefits etc. Maintain and ensure accuracy of PTO and accrual balances, prepare and distribute all related analysis, reports etc.
- Maintain current payroll and employee data in payroll system associated with all employee payroll activity (e.g. new hires, separations, LOA, pay changes, tax data, standard and voluntary pay deductions, employee changes, garnishments, adjustments, benefit/retirement plans etc.) and process all related analysis, reports etc.
- Execute time system processes to interface with payroll. Review approved hours and PTO in time and attendance system in detail prior to finalizing payroll to verify totals and ensure management errors are identified and resolved prior to payroll processing. Reconcile time and payroll data prior to final transmission and validate confirmed reports.
- Review and validate completed payroll cycles, ensure any errors are identified, processed and resolved satisfactorily. Insure all items requiring reconciliation are balanced and settled within the appropriate payroll cycle, quarter and year.
- Process wage garnishments, manual checks, PTO, attendance and all other payroll tasks, and analysis/reports as scheduled or requested by management (e.g. labor, overtime, LOA, pay scale, headcount etc.). Process accurate and timely year-end or annual functions and reporting effectively and successfully. Update and reconcile bank/payroll statements and payroll system billing statements as coordinated with Controller. Continuously reconcile benefit plans to payroll.
- Work effectively and professionally with employees and managers at all levels via written and verbal communications, obtaining, verifying and processing all necessary data, documents, information etc. associated with payroll, timekeeping and attendance functions.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with H.R., Accounting, payroll system personnel, bank contacts, Topa personnel and all internal/external contacts in coordinating and managing effective, accurate and efficient payroll systems, practices and procedures.
- Ensure strict confidentiality of all payroll and employee data, controlling and securing all payroll and employee information, systems, records etc. in compliance with all regulatory, payroll and H.R. policies and procedures. Ensure recordkeeping maintenance and storage requirements are adhered to and in compliance with all applicable regulations.
- Manage and maintain user controls and department support as approved by H.R. to ensure applicable users and data parameters are assigned and managed in the payroll application.
- Work closely with managers in utilizing available system tools to maximize effectiveness and efficiency at all levels. Provide support and training to ensure all program users are knowledgeable of available system functions and tools, and proficient to utilize the system at maximum effectiveness
- Acquire and maintain knowledge of rules and laws governing payroll practices (e.g. wage and hour, state/federal/local law, taxation, payroll deductions, employer benefits etc.) to ensure payroll processes and functions are updated in compliance with regulatory changes. Maintain continuous education of payroll best practices. Coordinate with H.R. Director on all system changes, updates etc.
- Be flexible to work alternate schedules as needed to ensure payroll schedules and deadlines are met. Work professionally, courteously and effectively with all individuals, and comply with all company policies, procedures and work rules. Assist with special projects, assignments, tasks etc. as assigned by management. Perform any other duties as assigned by management.
- Minimum two years payroll experience (Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred) or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong knowledge of general business and accounting practices.
- High level of honesty, integrity, ethics and confidentiality.
- Excellent verbal/written communication and customer service skills, high degree of professionalism.
- Superior organizational, multi-tasking and problem-solving skills.
- Microsoft Office, Excel, Word, Outlook.
- HRIS/Payroll systems
- Proficient in accounting and recordkeeping skills, multi-task, prioritizing and problem-solving skills.
Physical Demands: Must be able to remain sedentary for extended periods of time (e.g. 2 hours at a time), use a computer and see computer screen, manual dexterity to perform repetitive data input and computations, bend, stoop, reach, grab and lift up to 20 lbs. Work in general office environment – general office noise and temperature.